In Cherso there has been a refugee camp since February 2016, which has managed to shelter over 2,000 refugees.
This camp lacked a school and the organization of cultural activities, so towards the beginning of June we decided to start a cultural center project in the camp in collaboration with the organization of InterEuropean Human Aid Organization (IHA).
This project has 4 areas of work:
- The construction of a physical space for cultural activities and education.
- An educational project for children and adults.
- A cultural program for children and adults.
- Help to improve the camp.
These areas of work are done respecting the objectives of the project:
- To empower the refugees through the undertaking of responsibilities as well as teaching, leading workshops and project administration. They should have an occupation and maintain their professional skills.
- To create a safe and structured environment in the refugee camps for the children, where they can play, learn and continue to have a healthy lifestyle.
- To provide a space where both children and adults can busy themselves with work, express themselves creatively and have a sense of community as well as develop their academic, social and physical abilities and alleviate stress.
- To facilitate cultural exchange among refugees and local communities, shelter and volunteers.