This beautiful, fluffy bread is a common feature of the Afghan cuisine. We typically eat this for breakfast in Afghanistan. It is delicious, can be eaten with anything and is easy to make. Here’s how:
- Firstly, put the flour in a big bowl and add the sugar, yeast, cardamom and cinnamon and mix it all together. In the centre of the mixture, make a hole and gradually pour in the water whilst mixing until it becomes a dough. If the dough is sticky, wash your hands and a little bit of olive oil then knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- Once this is done, allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
- To prepare the sesame seeds, mix ½ a cup of water and 1 tablespoon of honey together, then, add the sesame seeds and mix it again.
- After this, drain the sesame seeds to remove the water. Once the dough has risen, separate it into mandarin-sized balls of all the same size and then let them rest for 30 minutes.
- Once rested, flatten each ball out into a bread-like shape and put each bread into the sesame seeds to cover the top and the bottom.
- Then, make 3 holes in the centre (without going through the bread) with your finger, and then allow to rest for another 40 minutes.
- Finally, bake the bread in a preheated oven at 180° for 25 minutes or until turned golden brown.
- 6 cups of plain flour
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 tsp of yeast
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 2 ½ cups of water
- 1 ½ cups of sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp of honey
- ½ cup of water for sesame seedsWater 1/2 cup for sesame
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- A little bit of olive oil